Tuesday, December 4, 2007

How Nintendo Helps Form Friendships

Last weekend my friend from college came into town. For our purposes, we'll call him "Evan."

So, Evan, born and raised in New York is a big Bears fan. Why, you ask?

Tecmo Bowl. The 1987 Nintendo classic. It was a very realistic game.

Apparently, Walter Payton was really good in Tecmo Bowl, so Evan became a Bears fan. When I saw the Tom Waddle picture in his college apartment, I knew we'd be friends.

Every year Evan visits to go to a Bears game, and sadly, the Bears season came to an unofficial end with his '07 trip to Chicago. In a season of disappointments, I can't say I'm shocked at all.

In fact, the silver lining in the dark cloud that is the Bears '07 campaign, is the hope that Evan and I will be able to move up a few spots in our season ticket waiting list. Just think. After many years of waiting, we'll have our own seats in the nosebleeds of Soldier Field.

Men can dream. Men can dream.

The trip wasn't a total waste. I found out that Lionel Ritchie didn't sing the Bob Seger hit, "We Got Tonight." Who knew? I was waaay off.

1 comment:

evantonio said...

not only was payton good, but you could hit christiansen on the tight-end slant every time, even if they picked your play. it was a great safety valve.

and willie gault streaking down the sideline? unstoppable. unless you were playing the giants because, ya know, lawrence taylor was the fastest player in the game. even faster than bo jackson.